Saturday, April 30, 2016

A 1970s Time Capsule from #AtoZChallenge @AprilA2Z – Zoinks! and Other 1970s Slang from A to Z

Z

A 1970’s Time Capsule

POP CULTURE

Zoinks
 I’ve reached the end of the challenge and have survived.  I had almost given up finding something for the letter  “Z” but then I remembered that I had wanted to do a post on 1970s slang but forgot on the “S” day.  Today I bring you Zoinks! and several other slang terms from the 1970s.  Do you remember any slang.  I’d love to hear any that I haven’t included below.
All Right – that’s da bomb
Be There Or Be Square – Means Be at the party or be boring
Boob Tube – Television, TV
Brother – Mate, buddy, good friend
Can Ya Dig It? – are you cool with that, is that okay? Do you understand?
Chick – girl
Crib – home, or house.
Deadhead – a grateful dead fan
Do Me A Solid – asking for a favor
Doobie – joint, marijuana cigarette
Far Out – really cool
Flower Power – Rather choose peace over war
Foxy – Very attractive girl, “She’s pretty Foxy!”
Freak-me-out – Means : that really surprised me!
Funky – Different in a cool way!
The Fuzz – the police
Gas – fantastic!
Gig – Job. e.g. I start my new gig today.
Gimme Five – Slap hands (one palm over the other, then in reverse) with another person, as in agreement with you, or something you really like
Gimme Some Skin – This means to shake someones hand. it lasted from the 60’s into the 70’s. ‘gimme some skin man’
Good Vibes – positive energy
Groovy Baby – That’s hottness! something is cool…
Hang – to exist with a person or in a place
Heads – commonly referred to as the pot heads in the 70’s
Heavy – Somthing serious or important. Sometines used to describe somthing which is depressing. For example, “Polluting the planet… that’s heavy, man.”
Here’s The Skinny – It means ok here’s the lowdown or here’s the catch
Hip – Cool. “That song was very hip”
Honkey – A term (usu. derogatory) of a white man. Most known by George Jefferson of “The Jeffersons” TV series.
Hunk – Girls’ term for a handsome or otherwise attractive boy. “Ooh, he’s such a hunk!”
I’ll Call You Out! – Let’s fight!
Jinkies – Sign of surprise, “Oh my god!”, “Oh dear!”
Jive or Jiving – Jive can mean to talk or chat. Jiving means to talk nonsense, to be deceptive, or nonsensical. “You aint Jiving man?” That would be the same as, “Is that the truth?”
Keep On Truckin – keep moving
Kosher – cool, sweet.
Later – See you at another time.
Let’s Boogie – Let’s get going, or Let’s dance
The Man – The stupid cops
Mulah – money, cash
Narc – Narc: Tattler. Someone who turns other people in for anything, especially drug use.
No Way, Jose – this means a person disagrees about something.
Off The Hook – that’s cooler than cool
Peace – relax “chill”
Pig – police
Plastic – Fake, Phony – Not real.
Psyched – As in “Get psyched”. Fired up, excited, energized.
Rad – radical, cool, wicked
Rah Rah – Jock, square, un-cool person.
Right On – cool man or correct
See ya on the flipside, sometimes Catch ya on the flipside – See ya later
Shotgun – Laying claim to the front seat
Sit On It – Made popular by “Happy Days,” it means basically “shut up,” “go to hell,” or some other exasperated expression. “Up your nose with a rubber hose” was a similar expression, but popularized by “Welcome Back, Kotter.”
Smokey – used in the C.B language to define a cop. Ex: Hey, there is a smokey on our tail.
Split – To Leave. “I’m gonna split”
Streak – To run in public in the nude. Very popular in 1974.
T.C.B – Used among the soul brothers.Stands for “Take Care of Buisness”
Ten-four Good Buddy – Borrowed from CB slang; probably not used as much by kids as adults. “Ten-Four” means “I got your message” and “good buddy” was what CBers called each other. “You got the skinny on that?” “Ten-four, good buddy.”
That’s So Tubular, Man! – tubular/radical- awesome, cool, excellent, stellar
Totally – definitely
Up Your Nose With A Rubber Hose! – No way, or I’m ticked off by what you did. From “Welcome Back, Kotter.” Also, In your ear!
Veg Out – to relax
What’s Happenin’ Man – How’s it going ? Life being good to ya?
Whats The Skinny – Whats up? whats goin on?
Yea Right – A response to use when someone says something totally bogus
Zoinks! – scared, horrified;shocked
Now that we have come to the end of the A to Z Challenge, here are a few trips down 1970s memory lane.
This video sums up my month long theme.  Some of them I touched on and others I wish I had thought of it at the time I was writing my posts.

All images in this article are in the public domain. For any YouTube clips embedded in my posts, I am not the uploader.

The A to Z Challenge has dueling decades going on.  Check out the 1980s theme from a fellow blogger HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment